Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Going west in the corridor

In early June, my family took the train to Toronto so we could take in a Blue Jays game at the Rogers Centre. The trip west from Fallowfield Station was my first time taking Via Rail since 2015. It was also the first time I took the train between Ottawa and Toronto since 2009, when I used Via Rail to travel for business. For my daughters, it was their first time on a train that wasn't the O-Train.

We began our day from Fallowfield, as mentioned, before 6 a.m., as we waited for the 5:45 arrival of Train 41, which was the earliest train out of Ottawa. Our consist was led by P42 918 and it featured four silver streamlined HEP cars. My family was in the fourth car. It was an ex-CP coach and it was a bumpy ride. My wife and I were assigned seats at the end of the car, which gave us more leg room, although our window was half the size. Makes it hard to take photos!


As I mentioned in a previous post, the first thing I noticed trackside was a long line of empty intermodal cars parked on what blog readers confirmed to me was the last remnants of the CP Chalk River Subdivision. I was told that CPKC sets cars aside on this track when they are not in use for long periods. I was told that it is not uncommon to see grain cars parked on this track for long periods.

It was in Brockville that I captured my first photo at CP Chelsea, where the former CP Brockville Sub takes a sharp turn to the right for westbound trains, which forces the train to slow down. You can really hear the wheels screeching as the tight turn applies pressure on the train. It was on this turn that I attempted my first "Dutch door" style photo of a train. This was the best that I could do. It was at milepost 27.57. I was happy to catch the two signals as well.

The old windows on our coach made for less than stellar images, but I still like the fact that I could get a shot of our train from this vantage point. This is the first type of image in this style that I have ever captured. While we were in Brockville, I made sure to get a shot of the station. I have been through this town on the train many times, but I never have taken shots of the station.

This was about as much of the station as I could shoot from my narrow window in the fourth HEP car. There wasn't much else to see in Brockville during our stop, even though this is a good spot for railfanning, as this is a good place to see the convergence of the CN and CPKC's eastern systems. I did see a few flatcars, though.

I kept my eyes peeled for interesting scenes trackside. When we approached Kingston, I looked out for something on one of the two station tracks but I wasn't on the right side of the train to see what was on the other track. It wasn't until I was west of Kingston when I caught a quick glance at the abandoned ex-GTR, ex-CN Ernestown station, which still sits trackside, having long since hosted its last passenger train. This station continues to be a source of fascination for railfans and history buffs in the Kingston area.

I made sure to saunter down to the end of our car at times to get a shot of the tracks as we raced through Eastern Ontario. The harsh early morning sun was not my friend on these shots. But, as this train was not a double-ender, you could at least get a shot of the scenery rather than the back of an engine.

It wasn't until we arrived at Belleville that my vigilance finally paid off. As we approached the station, I saw a parked container train just east of the station. The engines did not seem to be idling, so I'm not sure if it was a case of a crew timed out and a train waiting for its next crew to bring it further west. I tried to get a shot as passed the head end. But again, the narrow window imposed limits to what I could do.

As we waited for our train to ease off the Belleville platform, I wandered to the back of the train to see if I could get a shot of the container train. This time, I was able to get a more complete shot. I was much happier with this shot. There is a bit of window glare in the bottom of the image, but I was happy that I could capture the curvature of the tracks and the contours of the train as it stretched into the distant horizon.

I also tried to frame the train with the overhead walkway of the Belleville station. The shadows were pretty harsh as it was still relatively early, so the freight train is a bit lost in the shadows, but I figured it was worth a shot.

I got a quick shot of the Trenton Junction Station, as I don't recall taking much notice of this stop when I took the train in the 1990s. I know there was a time when Via service was discontinued in Trenton for a time. The roof of the station needs to be replaced. It looks rough.

When we approached Cobourg, there were a couple of ballast cars in the yard, all with tarps covering the tops. The station in Cobourg looks very similar to the Belleville Station, only on a smaller scale.

I thought it would be fun to capture this scene in Cobourg, where you can see both rail lines over the water. There's a sizeable stretch of tracks where both the CPKC and CN lines are within eyesight of each other.

Those were some of my observations in June as we travelled from Fallowfield to Toronto. I will continue with Toronto observations in the next post. 

Note: I have aimed to post three items a month on this blog, but that will not be case this month. As I mentioned recently, my family is closing in on the final steps that will see us move. We are very close to wrapping up the process, but it is dominating my time. Thank you for your patience.

19 comments:

Kevin from Windsor said...

We should make a list of all those cookie-cutter Grand Trunk stations like Ernestown that are still standing and/on in-use between Montreal and Chicago. There’s even one preserved - Smith’s Creek - at Greenfield Village!

Eric said...

Kevin, apparently there are nine surviving ex-GTR stations in Ontario.

Michael, thanks for documenting your trip. You had bad luck to get the small window in the ex-CP coach. Those coaches have big windows and nice seats. Some of the ex-US HEP2 cars have all small windows.

..and good luck with your move and hope life will improve for you and your family!
Eric

Kevin from Windsor said...

Hi Eric - I saw the reference to the nine stations on a Parks Canada website, but those nine use a few different architectures, with many of them being one-offs. I was specifically interested in how many of the GTW cookie-cutter style stations like those pictured in Michael's Brockville and Ernestown photos still exist. I did a little bit of research and came up with 10, as follows: Brockville, Napanee and Port Hope; all still serving VIA Rail. Prescott , Mt. Clemens MI, Port Huron MI and Smith's Creek MI (now in Greenfield Village in Dearborn, MI); all museums, however Smith's Creek was moved from its original location. Ernestown and St. Mary's junction are abandoned but preserved, with both similarly fenced off. Brighton is still trackside, but in private hands. It housed a private museum for many years which is now closed. Google Maps shows it in a fenced off compound among other private buildings. I blew past the Port Hope and Napanee stations on the Turbo Train from Toronto to Kingston in 1982. I've driven past the St. Mary's Junction station. And I've been to Smith's Creek many times, and to the Mt. Clemens depot in 1982 or 1983 after it had been purchased by the city, but before it was opened to the public as a museum.

Kevin from Windsor said...

Smith's Creek

Kevin from Windsor said...

Click the Blogger "B" logo above each station name for a link to a photo from the Internet. I'll skip Brockville and Ernestown since Michael posted his own photos. My question is, "Did I find all of them, or did I miss any? Maybe elsewhere in Michigan?'

Kevin said...

Prescott

Kevin from Windsor said...

Port Hope

Kevin from Windsor said...

Napanee

Kevin from Windsor said...

St. Mary's Junction

Kevin from Windsor said...

Port Huron

Kevin from Windsor said...

Mt. Clemens

Kevin from Windsor said...

Brighton

Eric said...

Hi Kevin, My understanding is that an original Brockville limestone station was built on the south side of the GTR tracks, and that the current brick station is 17 years younger and built on the north side of the tracks. The original Brockville limestone station likely resembled the others we're talking about, but the current one is somewhat different from them.

Thanks,
Eric

Kevin from Windsor said...

I concur that the current Brockville station differs from the others on my list. I Google mapped it and it was the only one where the Google car didn’t get a close-up, as there seems to be a bit of a laneway from the Main Street. But it was similar enough, especially the positioning of the windows, that I thought it might have been a renovated or modified version. And the brick colour is very similar to Mt. Clemens and Smith’s Creek. So I threw it on the list. ….. Do you think I missed any of them?

Eric said...

I think you got 'em all, Kevin. Though I'm not an old station expert. Nor am I an old expert. Or even an expert in much. I know my station!
Eric

Kevin from Windsor said...

Eric, it’s good to know one’s local station. Trains magazine, whom are supposed to be experts at this sort of thing, repeatedly refer to Windsor’s VIA station as the “Walkerville” station and imply that it’s in another city. Walkerville was amalgamated into Windsor in 1935 and the station, while not downtown, is on the fringe of what a visitor would see as downtown Windsor. And then they point out that it’s next to the Johnnie Walker distillery, when it’s really the Hiram Walker distillery. Johnnie and Hiram were never related. The former was a made up character, like Betty Crocker. The latter was a real person who actually founded the distillery.

Eric said...

I should have said I know my station in life. Anyway, don't you find TRAINS' recent reporting to be fact-challenged and they don't seem to care?
Eric

Kevin from Windsor said...

Agreed. Maybe the new owners will turn it back into a fan magazine instead of a Railway Age corporate shill wannabee. But I read it anyhow. I like Passenger Train Journal. It’s a real fan magazine. Their editor lives in Canada, but I can’t find it anywhere around here, so I buy it at Barnes & Noble in Michigan. I suppose I could subscribe.

Steve Boyko said...

You did very well with your on-train photography!