Monday, October 5, 2026

A reminder of better days

I saw something on June 30 in Sarnia that reminded me of better days. I almost hesitated in writing that in the headline, because I find it frustrating when older railfans (I suppose I'm edging into that demographic) insist that everything was better before. 

For younger railfans, this is their golden age. They will grow up, become adults, and become nostalgic for these days. In other words, I think we need to be mindful of dealing in absolutes. If you asked me whether trains were more interesting to watch when I was younger, I would say yes. But that is just my reality. I respect that people will have different perspectives.

That being stated, I will share that I miss CSX. I miss the days watching the old Chessie System and B&O pained GP38s rumbling through my hometown with long trains bound for Sarnia or Chatham. The old CSX Sarnia Subdivision is a shadow of what it once was, and that is indeed a shame. I won't get into the recent history. I've covered it all before. 

This summer, when I was in Sarnia visiting family, I spent some time in the Sarnia rail yard just to get my fix of main line railroading action. That was when I saw CSX's interchange (transfer, some call it) making its way into CN's yard. This was at the same time that a CN westbound was making its way through the yard.

CSX's operations are down to a very small crew and stable of power. The geeps working the CSX customers in the Chemical Valley are modified, with boxier cabs and other features. Personally, I think they are a step down aesthetically. In this shot above, the power has just curled its way around the LDS roundhouse. As per usual, the crew was pulling tank cars into the yard. CSX handles tank cars and covered hoppers almost exclusively in Sarnia.

This might be one of my favourite shots of the year. As the CSX interchange slowly made its way into the yard, the westbound freight was moving at quite a clip toward the downward grade to the Paul M. Tellier Tunnel. To be honest, I was afraid I wouldn't get any better shots of the CSX train, as this is more of a rarity than the CN freight. Thankfully, the westbound CN cleared the yard quickly, allowing me to capture both trains in motion beneath the gantry. 


Here's a better look at the train making its way west through the yard. What became clear to me as the consist inched forward was that this was an unusually long train. Since the years when I watched CSX trains passing through my hometown when I was younger, I have rarely seen consists this long. 


This shot doesn't really do the length of the train justice, but it was somewhere near 70-80 cars long, which is something I have not seen from CSX in many years. Granted, these are based on very limited observations when I am home visiting once a year. So take that it for what it's worth. You might be able to see another railfan taking in the scene on a bench on the station platform.

One final shot of the westbound transfer coming up to two CN yard jobs around the Indian Road overpass. You can see both of those trains amid the blur of the summer heat and the morning shadows. Three trains in one shot. 

That was one of the highlights of my time in Sarnia on a morning when I saw multiple trains in short succession. It reminded me of a time when CSX was a going concern and handled long freight trains between Chatham and Sarnia on the Sarnia Subdivision. Of course, those days are long gone, but it was nice to be reminded of busier times for a few minutes.

No comments: